I can make them, but they're not always terribly tasty. This is where I take my proverbial hat off to a new cafe in Paddington, Brisbane: The Funky Monkey Cafe.
The peeps at Funky Monkey don't see cooking for special diets as a challenge, but rather they see it as a fun gastronomic experience.
And they do it well.
Together, these guys contrived an amazing four-course meal with three menu samples in each course. This was a great way to compare tasty morsels against each other.
We kicked off with rounds one and two from Funky Monkey's lunch and catering menus.
- Asian Purple Sweet Potato Rosti with Smoked Salmon, Spinach, Avocado, Lemon and Dill
- Kataifi Balls with Brie, Haloumi, Dates, Pine Nuts, Mint and Coriander
- Soft Shell Crab with Watercress, Avocado and Pomegranate Salad and Wasabi Seafood Sauce
- Chicken Wings marinated in a Plum and Macadamia sauce
- Herbed Quinoa Soft Tacos with Mushroom, Toufu, Baby Grape Tomatoes, Watercress and Natural Yoghurt
- BBQ Pork Ribs on a Cucumber and Raddish Slaw
Every one of these mini-dishes were, in one word: stellar.
I genuinely could have eaten a whole bowl full of each one, and the best part was that while I was full at the end of these courses, I still felt light inside. At no point had to slump back in my chair with my hand over my stomach like I do when I eat not-so-healthy foods (read: KFC).
Of these dishes my pick would be the soft shell crab which was cooked beautifully. I loved how the tart pomegranate seeds cut through the lightly battered crab. I also loved the taco, purely because the herbed quinoa bread was soft and tasty and a delight to eat.
Both of these are available on Funky Monkey's lunch menu.
- Vege Burger - Salt and Pepper Eggplant 'Pattie', Grilled Capsicum, Grilled Zucchini, Grilled Haloumi with Lime Yoghurt
- Paleo Burger - Sweet Potato, Beef, Tomato, Lettuce, Onion Jam
- Cheeseburger - Beef, Bacon, Cheese, Pickles, Tomato Relish, and Mustard
- Individual Chocolate Lava Brownie with White Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Chantilly Cream
- Raw Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
- Paleo Sticky Date Panna Cotta with Butterscotch Sauce and Pecan Crumble
I have never had a paleo burger before and I almost don't know how I can go back to normal burgers. Sweet potato wrapped around a beef patty really is a recipe for goodness.
The Vege Burger was brilliant as well- who knew that a single slice of eggplant in a crispy salt and pepper coating makes for a healthy and delicious burger patty?
Of the desserts, the sticky date panna cotta was a hit at the table, with the pecan crumble adding some great texture to the panna cotta's softness. The dessert winner though had to be the Chocolate Lava Brownie- it was rich, gooey and very, very chocolatey.
Funky Monkey Cafe not only feeds you healthy food, but ensures you will rave about the experience for day afterwards. I'm still going bananas over this meal.
- The Funky Monkey Cafe can be found at 102 Latrobe Terrace, Paddington 4064
- Open 7am –3pm, Wednesday – Sunday
- Lunch mains range from $9.90 - $16.90
Tanya dinned as a guest of The Funky Monkey Cafe and Eat Brisbane.