This is exactly what you get at Chow House on James St in Fortitude Valley.
I recently went here with a group of friends where we cheers-ed, chowed and chatted all night.
- Handmade Chicken and Walnut Dumplings with Black Vinegar and Sesame Dipping Sauce
These dumplings were seriously tasty. The walnut added a lovely crunch to to the otherwise soft dumplings and the tart sauce really added to each mouthful.
- Taro Crusted Silken Tofu with Asian Herb and Pickled Vegetable Salad, Roasted Peanuts and Sweet Chilli Peanut Coconut Sauce
- Chow House Nasi Goring with Chicken
The silken tofu was seriously outstanding. Despite ordering duck myself, I had dinner envy over this dish.
The lightly fried tofu was perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and lush on the inside. If you’re not a big fan of tofu, this is a pretty good intro to what can be done with this vegetarian staple.
The nasi goring is usually served with a fried egg on top, but we asked for it sans egg which the Chowseters were happy to oblige us with.
- Saffron, Orange and Caramel Pork Belly with Burghul, Beetroot and Orange Segment Salad
- Twice Cooked Warm Duck Salad with Shallot Pancake, Cashews and Soy Chilli Dressing
Both of these dishes were fantastic.
The pork belly was served with a sweet, sticky sauce which was a bit rich on its own, but when you had it with the slightly fatty pork it just worked. The caramel sauce cut through the fat and you ended up with a medley of deliciousness in your mouth.
The twice cooked duck was done to perfection. It was still moist and had a lovely mix of herbs on the crispy skin. Loved the giant flat shallot pancake it came with as well.
And all without an unnecessary white linen tablecloth in sight.
- Chow House can be found at 39 James St, Fortitude Valley 4006.
- Open 7 days for breakfast and lunch. Open Tuesday - Saturday for dinner.
- Share plates from $8.50. Mains $17 - $44.