That's exactly what you get at Beccofino, on the Brisbane suburb border (kind of) of Teneriffe and Newstead.
Being a local Italian favourite, Beccofino attracts young couples, old couples, families with small kids, families with teenagers, families hanging out with other families, etc. etc. Basically if you and whatever family you have need to get out of the house for some quality time over a satisfying meal, this place is a pretty good pick.
For aperitifs, we opted for a taste of Italy, with a Campari on ice, and Punt e Mes, also on ice. Both were refreshingly bitter with the Punt e Mes having a thicker syrupy texture. They went well with our shared starter:
- Fiori di Zucca: Roasted zucchini flowers stuffed with truffled ricotta
This was spring on a plate. The ricotta in these flowers was light and fluffy, but the added truffle gave it a really nice earthy depth.
- Mezze Maniche con Guanciale: Short tubular pasta with crispy pork cheek, tomato, chilli and pecorino cheese
- Linguine al Granchio: Long thin pasta with crab meat, cherry tomatoes, chilli, garlic, white wine and olive oil
Both of these dishes were just plain satisfying.
The small bits of pork cheek were melt-in-your mouth, while the crab meat was fresh and delicious. We asked our waiter to not hold back on the parmesan, and thankfully he didn't.
The cream and sugar won.
- Panna cotta: Vanilla bean panna cotta with rooftop honey and orange wafers
- Frittelle: Fried brioche dumplings with chocolate sauce and fior di latte ice cream
The panna cotta was just as panna cotta should be- not too firm with a silky texture. The orange wafers were delicate and just had a nice hint of citrus.
When I see the word "fried" in a dessert menu, I know I'm probably going to like that particular dish and I was right. The brioche dumplings were just as decadent as they sounded. These little balls of fried goodness worked really well with rich chocolate sauce.
- Beccofino can be found at 10 Vernon Terrace, Newstead 4006
- Open Friday - Sunday for lunch and Tuesday - Sunday for dinner.
- Dinner mains $21 - $30.50.