While the bar staff will make you a cosmopolitan if you ask for one, the list of cocktail capers at Miss Moneypenny's on Hastings St is so creative and unique that you'll wonder why the women from Sex and the City didn't stray from their regular choice of drink every now and then.
The bar itself has the smooth ambiance of a Barry White song, but is decidedly much cooler. As soon as we stepped in the door, staff were friendly and welcoming and made us feel right at home. If home was a trendy bar on Noosa's main strip.
- The Creme Brulee: Licor 43, Amaro Montenefro, Cream and Egg, Dusted with Brown Sugar and Torched;
- The Twisted Grasshopper: Yellow Chartreuse, White Cacao, Licor 43, Cream, Mint, Dusted with Dark Chocolate Shavings;
- Roast Capsicum and Paprika Salt Margarita: Tequila, Cointreau and Lime Juice shaken with Roast Capsicum with a Paprika Salt Rim.
To cure our soberness, we had a hard choice ahead of us but in the end we opted for these three potions:
- The Muscateer: Glenfiddich 12yo, Chestnut Liqueur and Muscat with pressed Muscatelle Grapes;
- Capone Manhattan: George Pickel No. 8 Tennessee Whisky and Licor 43 with Maple Syrup;
- High on Rye: High West Double Rye, Cocoa Dark, Pedro Zimenez Sherry, Cream, The Original Coco Lopez, Dusted with Dark Chocolate Shavings.
The cocktails themselves came in beautifully delicate glassware, which added to the elegance of just being at this cocktail bar.
Using ingredients like maple syrup can be fraught with danger, but rather than punch you in the face with a sweet hit, it lifted the whisky in the Capone Manhattan just perfectly. The Muscateer was so moreish I ordered another, and the High on Rye I did fear would be thick and too dessert-like for an evening drink, but it again was balanced and just had a hint of cream to add a bit of richness.
I have heard that service can be slow during busy times, but on a Sunday night when we were pretty much the only ones here, I really couldn't complain.
If you're around Noosa-way, Miss Moneypenny's is worth a quick visit. If you can spend a whole night here without putting on a fake Scottish accent you will be doing far better than me.
Website: Miss Moneypennys